<VV> The Fuel Pump Story - the Final Saga

Bob & Kathy Gilbert bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca
Sat Jul 9 23:12:02 EDT 2005

Recap,
1) Rebuilt 180 engine and entire fuel system (new lines, cleaned tank, new
sender, etc)
2) Put in what I thought was a new mechanical pump.
3) Lasted about 15-20 minutes of engine running after which it spewed
gasoline all over the engine bay and into the engine. Changed oil.
4) I installed an in-line electric fuel pump - at the rear.
5) It lasted about 20-30 minutes of engine time after which I experienced
engine fuel starvation over about 3,000 RPM.
6) Relocated it to the front - no difference in flow rate or problems, plus
it now failed at least once while going slowly
7) Replaced it with another mechanical fuel pump, indeterminate origin - it
failed immediately with gas once again everywhere.
8) Replaced it with a second mechanical pump - it worked fine - too fine.
Car ran well but I had gas spewing out of the carb (too much pressure).
9) Installed a brand new pressure regulator. It did more than just leak , it
GUSHED gasoline everywhere!
10) Went to local FLAPS (Local = 100 km drive in this case) to buy another
pressure regulator.
11) Ended up chatting with a guy who had been through 3 in line pumps in his
old mustang. Told me he switched to a Carter pump so I said I'd take a look
at it. 6 lbs (!) of pump and a 72 GPM flow rate! I made a joke about that
but the guy didn't get it. No regulator but I bought the pump - kaching!
12) Brought it home and installed it with much difficulty at the front -
worked great. But I only had 2 inches of ground clearance. Funny - it didn't
look that bad up on the ramps!
13) Relocated pump - again - with much difficulty at the rear.
14) Worked fine but now it was closer to the carb and just like the
mechanical pump it over pressured the carb.
15 ) No choice now so I took apart the regulator - the previous gusher and
had it half way apart when I discovered that a gasket wasn't sitting square.
I carefully relocated the gasket, put the regulator back together then
installed it in the car.
16) No leaks but after 5 minutes no gas! The regulator wasn't regulating ,
in fact, it wasn't allowing any gas through!
17) Took the regulator apart and after about 30 minutes of examining the
guts determined it had been incorrectly assembled at the factory.
Re-assembled same.
18) Put it back in and set to 3 1/2 lbs - NIRVANA! Car runs great, no leaks,
no overpressure of the carb
19) Several gallons of gas on me , inhaled probably the equivalent of a pint
or two, about 2 weeks of work, 40 hours or so and about $150 later - and you
know what - it feels just great!! Of course, maybe that's just the gas...

Unfortunately the car, while "assembled", is nowhere near finished, but
finished or not, it now looks like it will be in Portland!

Bob

Bob