<VV> RE: Corvair Fan (Kent Sullivan): Material Selection

Fran & Mary Marchand franmary at adelphia.net
Sun Jul 10 08:50:04 EDT 2005

Kent,  My company had a "special" project to replace Delrin, which was
being eaten by a mild acid.  We went through an extensive (read as
multi-million $ DoD spending) material selection, design, manufacture
and test process.  We finally settled on PEEK (polyether-ether-ketone)
for the part.  PEEK is a very high temperature material, extremely inert
and very strong.  It comes in many flavors, including fiberglass and
carbon reinforcements.  Its one drawback is that it is expensive as a
raw material.  For building a fan, a major cost will be in the mold
design/manufacture process.  The material cost may be secondary if the
quantities are fairly low.  PEEK raw material is made by Victrex in the
UK (http://www.victrex.com), but is widely availble around this country.

Fran