<VV> Corvair Fan

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sun Jul 10 11:59:11 EDT 2005

Fortunately, there are better materials than Delrin. But then again, an
investment cast aluminum fan should work just fine, and MUCH cheaper to do in
what no doubt will be a small run of parts.

In a message dated 7/10/2005 12:44:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
BobHelt at aol.com writes:

> we  would like to make the production fans out of something
> much lighter  than aluminum; perhaps a modern plastic. (But it needs to be
> one that  doesn't react with battery acid fumes. We all know the story of
the
>  prototype Delrin fan creating formaldehyde gas!) There will be a
>  price/performance decision to make.

Well, we don't want a  repeat of that fiasco, but remember that the problem
came about (according  to Bob Benzinger) because of a GENERATOR charging at
the
high limit. This  was late 1961. Hopefully alternators would not cause the
same
problem.