<VV> High performance cooling

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Sun Jul 10 16:19:42 EDT 2005

I concur for the most part.

However, ALL cars (whether Corvair, Corvette, or even Ferrari) were a series of compromises. Comfort versus performance. Economy versus power. Quality
versus price. Chevy didn't want to sell Corsa to just the performance crowd, they wanted a wide, wide group of buyers for EVERY model (leaving room for
folks like Shelby and Yenko to step in..)

The compromises that the factory made aren't necessarily the compromises that we like. Some of us want more comfort and install modern seats. Some
want better handling and don't mind the ride, so we cut springs, put on strong shocks and high performance, low diameter tires. Economy was a key selling
feature of the car for many folks...while others like me could live with big V8 economy figures for similar straightline performance...

In my opinion, adding a watercooled V8 does change the basic character of the car (as would adding water cooling to the Corvair engine... ever check
and see what the "real" Porsches are doing value-wise versus the modern waterpumpers? Going to water cooling was something Porsche was forced into
by outside pressure... another of those "compromises"), but adding an efficient fan (like possibly the vertical fan like we're discussing here) would NOT
change the basic character of the car and might even lead to things like a reliable turbo engine that can run air conditioning. These sorts of considerations
are of concern to everyone except purists and are not limited to the fastvair racer types.

Similarly, if a real inexpensive and reliable 3.6L engine kit became available, I'm sure many folks here would be interested as well.

Just my 0.02...

Bill Elliott

>It is clear that a high performance solution to cooling a high output Corvair engine does not belong on this forum. However, if Chevrolet R&D could not
readily resolve this problem then, how should we be able to do so today?  We could make our engines into Porsche engines with dry sump 9 quart oiling
systems with oil radiators in the front fenders; and add electric cooling fans to air conditioning condensers that have been relocated to the fenders; or to
increase the aluminum content of our engines to displace 3.6 liters.  Consider that a low stress, high displacement engine produces much less heat that a
small displacement, high output engine. I submit that the best solution is water cooling the heads, as Porsche has found to be the long term solution. Now
who besides me would want to deviate from the GM Religion that a Corvair's biggest weight savings is eliminating a radiator, water pump and heavy H20
coolant?  Yet the humble 1999 model year 2.5 liter, 201 hp/181 ftlbs (net) Porsche Boxster has it all over the Corvair in both the power and cooling
department.  Many speed freaks before us have attacked the Corvair's performance "issues"... ask yourself, am I next to spend too much money for an
extra fifty horsepower? ha-ha!  Appreciate what made the original Corvair a sensation.