<VV> Corvair Fan

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sun Jul 10 16:47:50 EDT 2005

Given that ALL turbo Corvairs overheat if you keep your foot into it long
enough, AC Corvairs seem to struggle in hot weather, and 140 HP Corvairs run
better cold than hot, I'd say it's inadequate, and Chevy opted for a one size
fits all solution that only works on the lowest HP models. The more powerful
engines simply need better cooling than Chevy gave them. And regardless of your
 reverse logic, the market demand for air conditioning and more power was
clearly  there. No need for water cooling, just a better fan.
Parts cost over the counter will ALWAYS be a LOT higher than the
manufacturing costs. By a BUNCH. The revision to the 1961 cooling system was  done to
accomodate the Direct Air heater, a cost savings over the gasoline fired  unit.
So, why is the stock cooling system marginal on the high output and AC
engines? Simple, Chevy never designed the right cooling system parts for these
engines.

In a message dated 7/10/2005 4:41:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,