<VV> Corvair Fan

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sun Jul 10 15:39:42 EDT 2005

140, turbo, and air conditioned Corvairs have inadequate fans on  them.
Chevy designed the cooling fan to work, and do so as cheaply as possible.
The 64 and later mag fan is die cast, and its shape is determined by its
compatibility with that manufacturing process, NOT cooling and HP requirements.
Magnesium was chosen because Chevy recognized there was an inertia problem, and
swapping magnesium for aluminum meant less mass, more stiffness, and a fan
that  wouldn't 'ring'. But it is NOT the best way to blow air through an air
cooled  engine.

In a message dated 7/10/2005 2:38:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,