<VV> Corvair Fan

Levair at aol.com Levair at aol.com
Sun Jul 10 23:12:23 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/10/05 2:38:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
crawfordrose at msn.com writes:

<<
 Finally, what car doesn't have fan belt issues? I had to change my 1.8 liter
Golf and Cabriolet AC/alt/waterpump belts frequently (every 25k) and that is
much more involved than the Corvair. I find that most of this discussion is
creating a problem that doesn't really affect most of us with properly
maintained cars.

Thank you for that information.
   I had a GT40 replica with a kelmark Chevy V8 conversion.
 The single plane belt which ran only the waterpump could be flipped off
easily in first gear acceleration.. 1900# car 400+ hp.
   Of course this didn't happen in a road race in 3rd and 4th gear ; the
acceleration rate just wasn't that high.
  I had the same thing happen in a 200 hp Corvair powered 1100# Formula car.
The acceleration rate was just too high in first gear. Had spring idlers and
bicycle fender like guards on the belt.
  Now it's happening with the supercharger drive in the Roadster. single
plane belt, idler tensioned and all.
This acceleratrion and maintaining the correct fan speed for race rpm is the
reason for 1/2 speed pulleys on my current cars.
Anyone see a pattern here?
Warren