<VV> Corvair Fan

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Mon Jul 11 03:36:09 EDT 2005

Mike, I'm sorry to differ but I never said it is the best possible design.  The original design works well up to the designed speed of 4000 rpm.  The SAE papers claim that the design produces adequate air for the economy operation purpose of the Corvair and I agree.  The base Corvair engine is not a high performance engine and the cooling exceeded the as-designed heat rejection needs.  The improvements to increase horsepower were subsequent add-ons in 1961 and 1962 that were not originally designed into the motor  in 1959 and thus there is no way to assert that there were compromises or a performance trade-off from the original cost program as you are claiming.  Consider that there should have been a lot more additional R&D to meet the new heat rejection needs but apparently the various fans that employed curved vanes that were tested after 1961 were alternatively heavier or lighter but did not produce significantly more air volume.

Finally, everybody let's admit, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. See the 917's 4.5 liter luftgekuhlte 12-Zylinder Boxermotor:

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/22415610<http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/22415610>

Crawford