<VV> Corvair Fan

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Mon Jul 11 07:18:45 EDT 2005

I noticed that too, Bob. But I can see the factory doing a setup to get it
close by the way it's machined in the first place.
I suspect this is what really happened. Get it close, so only edge nibbles
are needed to balance it.

In a message dated 7/10/2005 10:30:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
BobHelt at aol.com writes:

>  Every wonder why there are no balance weights or weigh
> balance holes  on the Corvair fan?  It was done by first spin balancing
> the fan  before any fan bearing mounting holes were drilled.  Then the
>  production machine moved the casting to the exact balance center.   The
> casting was then drilled and bored.  Apparently the process  was so good
> that a dynamic re-balance check was not needed.

I find this hard to believe. I personally have had possession of  factory mag
fans that have had small sections removed from the periphery  obviously for
balancing.