<VV> New Corvair in the stable..Now have turbo AC questions

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon Jul 11 22:53:01 EDT 2005

<snip>Craig, I've never owned or ridden in an air-conditioned Vair,  but my
understanding is that the AC system was more than enough to cool our  small
cars.  That being the case, is it fair to say that the loss of  efficiency in
going from R12 to R134a is not very noticeable?  Norm  <unsnip>

I've had only one air conditioned Corvair, a '65 Sedan.  In that  vehicle (SO
CAL), the a/c only made the vehicle "less uncomfortable" - it did  not
"freeze you out".  I must mention that this ownership was  very early in my auto
career and I didn't know much about how to make it cool  any better.  It was
professionally evacuated and charged and the shop  (the Chevy dealership where I
worked) said that things were working  properly.  With what I've learned in the
last 30 years, I would probably be  able to make that 'ol '65 cool more.

Fast forward to now, about 134a:  In my experience, 134 does a good  job of
picking up the heat but it's harder to get it to lose the heat in the
condenser; hence the need for improved condensers.  In a system with an  improved
style condenser, there's no reason 134 wouldn't do the same job as  12.  For my
customers, I oversize the condenser or add a second (series)  condenser.  This
gets the high side pressure (pressure = heat) way down and  provides 33 degree
outlet temperatures.
Craig (not as witty) Nicol