<VV> New Corvair in the stable..Now have turbo AC questions

Britt Griffith bgriffith at thenetmyway.com
Tue Jul 12 02:33:46 EDT 2005

If you have new hoses, go with R-12. R-134a will leak through "virgin" hoses
intended for R-12, in theory. This is because R-134a is a smaller molecule
than R-12 and the rubber hoses are porous. However, if the car has old
hoses, you can use R-134a and it probably won't seep out. This has to do
with the mineral oil used in R-12 systems acting as a protective "layer" in
hoses and other parts. In practice, it also protects rubber components that
were initially thought to be susceptible to degradation by R-134a.

I would replace the mineral oil in the compressor with an R-134a compatible
oil now. R-12 is compatible with both oils, but R-134a is not compatible
with mineral oil. It's been a while since I've done A/C work, but I seem to
remember that if you want an R-134a system to work correctly, it should have
less than 5 to 10% mineral oil in it. You'll need to change out the oil on
your system a couple of times to get to this level if you do go to R-134a
someday. You might as well do one change right now and run the system for a
while.

Britt Griffith
Corona, CA
65 Monza Coupe