<VV>Warm Up

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Jul 13 08:34:09 EDT 2005

>I also recommend letting your engine warm up for 3-5 minutes before heading
>out on the street.  Not recommended or necessary for a fuel injected car,

Is necessary for any car to warm up but not necessarily for that long
particularly on a warm day. Even modern engines take time for the oil to
get everywhere and the gauge/light sensor is usually near the pump. I
usually start the engine and then fasten the seat belt (been using for over
40 years) and wait for the fast idle to come down a notch before putting in
gear..

BTW it is not unusual for a engine with a mechanical fuel pump (not
necessarily carbs) to take a while to prime. When I was running a dual quad
setup on my Sunbird, I had to add a prime button on the electric fuel pump
(oil pressure interlock) for it to start in the morning. GM now uses the
computer to turn the pump on briefly at the start to prime the injectors.

One of the tips in the Roes book is to seal the bottom passages in a
Quadrajet with epoxy to prevent draining into the manifold where the
gasoline evaporates. Wonder if the H carb could use something similar.

Padgett