<VV> cooling horsepower

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Wed Jul 13 08:42:44 EDT 2005

You may all recall the discussion of the cooling sufficiency of the stock system.  I went back to read the SAE papers and the methodology that they used. The data was based on the research that Chevrolet performed that it takes 18 cubic feet of air  per minute per rated horsepower in 100 degree ambient temps.  The airflow of the cooling system was 1850 cubic feet per minute at 4000 rpm.  Peak horsepower of 80 hp requires 1440 cubic feet.  Curiously, that is similar to the rating of the later magnesium fan's output but as far as the original design of the cooling system, it is plain that 1850 cubic feet is adequate for the original engines by more than twenty percent.  The math would indicate that 1850 cubic feet is sufficient to cool to 102 horsepower. Therefore, the goal for 180 hp turbo owners would have to be a implement a design that yielded at least 3240 cubic feet per minute to enable sustained max output. That is a lot of air; more than twice the output of the magnesium design that 180s rely upon.  I think that the fan would drain significant additional horsepower to drive that much air through the cylinders at 4000 rpm.
Crawford