<VV> RE: sick of corvairs

DSJKLING at sbcglobal.net DSJKLING at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 13 15:52:12 EDT 2005

Hi Mike,

If its any consolation to you, I just bought a 1967
Corvair Ultra Van back in March and am having tons of
problems too.  It was advertised as "excellent
working condition" but I'm finding out otherwise.  I
partly blame myself for being excited but in the end
I think I got taken for a ride.  It is true, "Let the
buyer beware", boy did I learn that lesson.  The guy
touted it as being in excellent working condition, no
problems except for a crack in the passenger side
window.  I purchased it on E-Bay which meant I bought
it basically sight unseen too.  Won't do that again
without a written guarantee.  When I arrived to pick
it up I looked it over before handing him the
cashier's check.  I noticed what looked like a small
transmission leak.  He said, "Oh, I've been meaning
to fix that".  That should have been my first clue.
We drove it and it did run good but I noticed that
the tires rubbed when turning.  He said, "Oh, that
because the tires are slightly oversized".  That
should have been my second clue.  I also noticed that
some of the guages didn't work also.  That should
have been my third clue.  But no, I was too excited
and handed him the check.  Upon driving it home, 300
miles from Oregon to California, I drove over the
Cascade range up near Lake Shasta where I encountered
rain.  The roof and windshield leaked like a sieve.
When I got home, I discovered the rotted floor in the
rear under the bed due to the massive roof leaks.  I
made the mistake of giving the guy the benefit of the
doubt and repaired the roof leaks and rear floor
without saying a word to the guy.  While the finish
on the new rear floor was drying, I decided to look
into tire rubbing up front, I said tire singular
because I discovered that only the passenger side was
rubbing and only when I turned to the right.  I
jacked the front end up and got in to turn the wheels
lock to lock.  I turned them a couple of times and
heard a "Pop".  I got out and to my horror discovered
that the upper a-arm on the passenger side and
cracked in half under the upper ball joint.  It had
completely separated.  The fracture was rusted
heavily over half of its length indicating that it
had been this way for a while.  After falling to my
knees to thank God for sparing my life on the way
home from Oregon, I decided to figure out what else
was wrong with the Ultra Van.  I discovered that the
brake system was full of rust and that copper "ice
maker" line had been used to replace all the brake
line front to rear.  The small transmission leak
turned out to be a massive transmission leak.
Probably just a crack in the shift cable housing and
a pan gasket but all the same it wasn't disclosed.

At this point I decide to contact the seller and hope
that in the goodness of their heart that they would
cut me a break.  Seemed like a nice enough corvair
guy, maybe he'd help me out.  Nope, after 5 attempts
to contact them, 3 times without even requesting a
dollar amount, I got a call from his "Legal Advisor"
and basically told to pound sand. What was decribed
as excellent became "What do you expect from a 67
year old vehicle.  Nice guy.  Big life lesson
learned.  Trust but verify no matter who it is or
what promises they make.

I've found with older cars that most people don't
maintain them properly.  I've also found out that one
person's "Excellent working condition" is not
necessarily mine.  I also learned that what is legal
to do is not necessarily ethical.  You can advertise
a used car as excellent but if there is no warrantee,
then it is "buyer beware" regardless of what you say.

Older cars can nickle and dime you to death until you
decide to completely go through them.  That's what
I'm doing on the Ultra Van right now.  Costing me
over $2000 just to do the suspension and brakes
right.  I did what some on the list suggested, I
walked away from it for a while and then came back to
it.  Now I'm determined to get it back on the road.
At least I'll know for sure what I have when I'm done
and with proper maintenance it should give reasonably
trouble free performance when I'm through.

Good luck,

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 110hp, 4spd
1963 Spyder Coupe, restored