<VV> sick of my Corvair--Long

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Wed Jul 13 16:17:36 EDT 2005

Mike

> From: <mhicks130 at cox.net>
> Date: 2005/07/13 Wed AM 08:21:11 EST
> To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
> Subject: <VV> sick of my Corvair
>
> OK, I need emotional help this time.

This is the place to come!!

Can the collective help convince me why I should keep my crappy old Corvair?
    Try not to use the word "collective"-it has a political reference that some might object to---group is fine!!

 I bought this car from a "well respectd member of the Corvair community" and I've done nothing but work on it since I got it.

Mike, I have no idea of who this person was, and it truly doesn't matter. I am reasonably certain, regardless of who you bought the car from, they didn't promise you thousands of miles of care-free driving from the outset. If they did, well that's another bag of beans.

In my current (hopefully forever) employment as a CSR for a company that sells restoration parts, I hear more than a few stories from folks that are trying to drive the car they are also restoring on a daily basis. I understand, as I have done it myself. It isn't easy, and is oftentimes frustrating.

I know that Matt and others of his ilk will tell you that it's fun to do that, most I have spoken with --and you too by the sound of it--do not agree. Personally, I think it isn't worth the hassle to try and do both.

first the rear brakes locked up, then the fronts were leaking.

 Mike, as was discussed ad infinitum last week, any system that had DOT 3 in it, especially those that have sat idle for any long period of time, is going to have brake issues.

I would advise anyone buying a Corvair that has not been regularly driven and maintained, to go ahead and replace the Master Cylinder, all 4 wheel cylinders, hoses and shoes.
Sure, Matt and those who think like him will tell you Nah, just drive it and fix things as they break. Obviously, you wouldn't cotton to that advice.

My advice is---DON'T LISTEN to people telling you to give up your car. When issues like this happen. Take a break---walk away from the car. forget about it for a couple of days. It's amazing the difference it makes.

Some people know this and some don't. It's no lie, and since all of us have made mistakes, I'll tell you why I got into Corvairs--aside from I always wanted one, and when I was a little kid I thought they looked cool. (of course they do!!)

I traded a substance abuse problem for a Corvair. I knew in my heart my kids didn't deserve a dad with a drug problem, and my wife didn't either. And I knew she wouldn't put up with it for much longer. I needed something to keep my mind occupied, and not thinking about the next high.

So when we got our tax return in 87, I happened to be at the junkyard looking for a couple new seats for my Corolla. Instead of spending 250.00 on dope, I bought a Corvair. I got the seats for the Toyota too!!!

Of course there was no VV, no Basics Manual,etc. I sought out other Corvair people, I got the Clark's and Walls catalogs, and when I felt the monkey crawling, I would immerse myself in the books, or wrenching on the car. Sure there were times when I thought it wasn't worth it. And I have had to walk away from the car for a few hours,days, to get my head back in it.

I feel very strongly, as Dave Ziegler's signature says,

Corvair Therapy---

It is--it's good for the soul. It's good for what ails you.
The people Ive met--what a bunch of wonderful dysfunctional people (in their own small way). There are people who could tell you about the days Smitty and I stood nearly toe to toe at club meetings, and if you read Joe's VV archive, you will find me bumping horns with lots of folks, most of them now very dear friends.  My very best friends own Corvairs. Sure, it's a sickness in itself. But if you have to be sick, it sure is one I highly recommend.

When my wife got fed up one day, my mom was visiting. She reminded Wanda my little brother threw 500 bucks or so every 2 weeks over a bar, stayed drunk and abusive, and had nothing to show for it. At least with a Corvair, she knew where I was, what I was doing, and even though it usually is at a loss, I could still get back some money when I sold them.

When you are drinking or doping, there's never anything left. money, family, sometimes life.  I think I made the right choice. In any event, I don't regret it a lick.

BTW, it's OK to feel sorry for yourself a little bit.

Want to feel better FAST!!! Talk to Stephen Upham. He's had more trouble in the last year than you can shake a big stick at, but he's still at it. And I see NO sign of him giving up. We are at 180 odds on politics, but I truly admire the man for his stick-to-it-ivness on his car.

As for one remove of comments to your post

IGNORE THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN <<G>>

Regards
Hank

"don't worry about the world coming to an end today, it's
already tomorrow in Australia"---Charles Schultz