<VV> sick of my Corvair

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 17:29:16 EDT 2005

Mike,

I am sorry to hear about your latest issue.

First, "popping through the carb" doesn't sound like a dropped seat unless it
is accompanied by other sounds.

Second, there will probably always be a "litany of little things" with pretty
much any car of this age.

Lastly, your mini van will likely develop issues at least as bad as you are
having long before it is as old as your Corvair.  Of course, you would have no
real incentive to keep it at that point because it doesn't have the long term
value and charm of our Corvairs.  Keep in mind that you are able to work on
your Corvair yourself for the most part.  Many of the issues that are likely to
develop with your mini van probably aren't items that a backyard mechanic is
likely to handle.  Go into a Honda dealership and complain about a popping carb
(TBI, intake system, whatever.)  They will plug it into a computer and then
start the "hunt and peck" replacement of parts until the problem goes away
....... maybe.  You could be up the creek big time if it is an intermittent
problem.  Please forgive me if there are any dealership mechanics on this list but
my experience with dealership mechanics is that they rely far too much on the
computer these days and far to little on direct experience and common sense.
If the computer says that the problem could be "Items A through E," they will
start by replacing "Item A" and go from there.

I suggest that your might consider sitting back and have yourself a beer then
buck up and try troubleshooting your newest problem.  Many of us have similar
or worse problems and view them as part of the challenge (even fun) of owning
our toys.  Consider yourself fortunate to have chosen a classic car that is
as inexpensive to buy and maintain as the Corvair.  Most other collectible cars
of this vintage are far more costly to buy initially, buy parts for and don't
have the "ready, willing and able" assistance that you find here on VV.

I feel comfortable that you will get past your present frustration and
continue (begin?) to enjoy your Corvair.

Keep us posted as you discover what the problem and solution is on your
latest adventure.

Doc
'60 Vette; '61 Rampside; '64 Spyder; '65 Greenbrier; '66 Corsa; '67 Nova SS;
'68 Camaro ragtop
In a message dated 7/13/2005 7:03:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time,