<VV> RE: sick of corvairs

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Wed Jul 13 18:18:20 EDT 2005

snip

I discovered that the
> brake system was full of rust and that copper "ice
> maker" line had been used to replace all the brake
> line front to rear.

But on the positive side, brake line was used to plumb the ice maker.

 Now I'm determined to get it back on the road.
> At least I'll know for sure what I have when I'm done
> and with proper maintenance it should give reasonably
> trouble free performance when I'm through.

It's not where you start but where you finish that counts.  In my mind, the
only real issue, at least on a car, is the body.  If that is solid, most
everything else is fixable.  It's just a matter of time and money, i.e.,
economics.  No one wants to get burned on a deal, but if you are stuck with
the car and it just needs a lot of attention, it can be rewarding to make a
real overhaul of it.  I don't look down my nose at people who just buy a
nice car to start with; Smitty will tell you I spend money on lots of parts
and assemblies that he would rebuild himself.  But it is worthwhile to have
a nice vehicle and to know that you had something to do with it being that
way.  Frustration comes with the territory.  It makes the ultimate
completion all the sweeter.

Norm