<VV> Carb Linkage

The Tysons the.tysons at comcast.net
Wed Jul 13 19:12:01 EDT 2005

I finally installed a pair of rebuild carbs on my '65 110 hp Monza and
decided to upgrade to the Swivel Linkage sold by Clarks (part # C9748).  The
engine has been a bit jerky when slowing (off the gas pedal), so I assumed
that the carbs were not perfectly balanced.  I pulled out the mercury
manometer that I use to balance my old motorcycle carbs and quickly
discovered that the Vair carbs were indeed out of balance.  As I attempted
to shorten one of Clark's swivel linkage, it struck me that both ends have
ball and socket joints that allow the end fittings to move up and down as
well as sideways.  This suggested to me that it might be impossible to
obtain carb balance since the distance between top and bottom cannot be
"fixed."  I was thinking about installing the original "rigid" linkage
pieces.  Have I missed something here or is their an inherent problem in the
design of Clarks ball and socket linkage?

Any previous experience from the readers?

Thanks,

Rick T