<VV> sick of my Corvair

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Wed Jul 13 19:46:00 EDT 2005

Truthfully -- old cars are not for everyone.  And even old cars vary
in condition considerably.  I bought my Spyder all restored like a
new car and it is only moderately troublesome.  The others are just
troublesome.  But that is only in comparison to a new car which
generally needs nothing but oil changes for 100k ... you won't get
that on the best of 40+ year old cars ... you just won't.

So if you don't enjoy it and consider it masochism then perhaps it is
not a good idea to have such a car.  Just a few weeks ago the Spyder
died in the middle of the road.  An hour later I found the problem --
a broken vacuum line hose -- and I was mobile again.  But I thought
that was fun :-)

At 06:21 AM 7/13/2005, mhicks130 at cox.net wrote:
>OK, I need emotional help this time. Can the collective help
>convince me why I should keep my crappy old Corvair?  I bought this
>car from a "well respectd member of the Corvair community" and I've
>done nothing but work on it since I got it.  first the rear brakes
>locked up, then the fronts were leaking.  There's been a litteny of
>little things and I keep finding more and more rust that just got
>painted over.  Last night was the kicker.  On my way to IHOP from
>our monthly club meeting last night, I appearantly dropped a valve
>seat.  I was cruizing along, everything fine and then it started
>popping through the carb.  I'm demoralized.  I knew I was buying an
>old car but this is just stupid.  The one thing I was consistanly
>happy about this car was the engine.  Everytime I found something
>bad I'd say "but at least that engine runs good".  Now even that's gone.
>
>If Corsa had any balls they'd put a warning label on their web page
>that says: "Warning, owning an old Corvair can be hazardous to you
>mental healt.  Only obtain one if you are a complete masochist".  I
>fell for all the "they're fun cars" stuff.  Yeah they're fun but the
>price I've paid for that fun is WAY to high.
>
>I'm sticking with my appliance-like Honda minivan.  Boring?
>yes.  Fun? no.  Heartbreaking? NEVER!!!
>
>stupid old cars - they suck.
>
>mike (feeling sorry for myself, sniff)

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can
leave a message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off
when I sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and
lots of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html