<VV> Speaking of Sprints... and frequent failures

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Jul 14 13:36:38 EDT 2005

I looked at a 62 Sprint / Monza wagon about three years ago - I  was pretty
excited since it had all the goodies (gauges, 4-carb conversion,  emblems, and
presumably the suspension stuff - I couldn't tell since it was sunk  to the
chassis in a field)  The Gold/Red color combo was a bit of a grind  especially
since neither was in good condition and repainting acres of red  interior
panels didn't look like much fun but the real deal breaker was the  extensive rust
in the fenders and rockers.  The guy had donor '61 wagons  that were available
to solve the body issue, but then it wouldn't be a real '62  Monza and there
was the small issue of two and a half mountain ranges of work to  get it all
done. Much smarter to buy a nice one.

My theory on why Corvairs take so much to get going?  Cheapest car  from the
cheapest GM division purchased by cheap buyers - this formula does not  lend
itself to the highest quality repairs and maintenance.  If every  mechanic did
a 95% job (and that's unrealistically high), those little 5%  shortfalls add
up over the years and soon we are left with unworkable  cars.  The other thing
I include in my paradigm is the notion of each part  having a different amount
of "life" in it.  When you buy a new car, every  part is new and "in-sync"
As the car ages the shortest-lived part  fails and is replaced.  One by one
each parts little built-in timer gets on  a different schedule and one thing or
another is always "timing out" - this  leads to the "I'm always fixing
something" syndrome.  The trick is to  clean-out all the little shortfalls from
incomplete mechanical repairs and to  get all the pieces into early stages of their
life-cycles; this will lead to a  "trouble-free" car, IMHO
C. Nicol