<VV> sick of my Corvair

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Jul 14 16:49:15 EDT 2005

At 05:48 hours 07/13/2005, Shaun wrote:

> [...]

Note that I said "not what I'd regard as popping."

I was not talking about the reversion effect you get with a failed intake
seat and accompanying leak back through the carb that you get when an
intake valve no longer seals the chamber.

I was talking about the POP POP POP you get banging back up through the
intake log from errant exhaust trapped in the cylinder when an exhaust
valve's no longer opening, for whatever reason.   The exhausted charge has
to go somewhere and right back into the intake is where it goes as soon as
the intake valve opens again, igniting the mixture inside the intake log
and banging it back out through the carb.

It's a sharp POP, not the typical backfiring and/or reversion you get from
a failed seat.

That's the symptom that I felt was being described in the e-mail to which
I'd replied.

tony..