<VV> Re: 16 v PooVair

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Fri Jul 15 06:39:44 EDT 2005

> Subject: New Voltage Problem
> To: "Virtual Vairs (E-mail)"
> Joel wrote -
> A buddy's 64 'brier runs like poo the higher the rpm rises. It's a LM 110
> with a high output internally regulated alternator. I measured the voltage
> at the coil tonight, and it's showing 16volts consistently throughout the
> rev range. (Positive lead to the Positive terminal on the coil and Negative
> lead to a good ground, correct?) He's running a Pertronix I and a Pertronix
> Coil.
>
> HELP! He's put a ton of work into this vehicle to get it ready for the
> convention and this is really getting him down.

Did it ever run well ? Who touched it last, and what did she do? Is it a new symptom?  Is that a freshly installed alternator?  How about the ignition?  Have you used the voltmeter to test the volts at the battery ?  Have you used the voltmeter on another car ?  What do the volts do with the light and heater fan on ?  Are the chokes fully open?  Has any open distributor surgery been performed lately?

Does poo = missing, popping, banging, or just lack of power?

I think there may be 2 problems. The voltage may not be related to still undefined poo. If the bat voltage is also high, then one possibility is  resistance in the charging circuit, so the regulatoror smells 14.6 volts when alt puts out 16.  Or MAYBE a bad regulator, but I'd check the voltmeter and bat voltage first.  Second I'd check for reasonably (?) smooth dwell (implying dist shaft bushings not worn too much) AND watch the ignition timing with a good timing light when revving it up (smooth timing advance when revvved) , both with and with out vac line disconnected and plugged.  Something like badly worn distributor (erratic timing and running, especially when vac advance tugs on the shaft) or centrifugal advance weights seized or in backwards (no advance,  = smooth but no hi-rev power).