<VV> Temporary (aren't they all) - Group Red

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 16 14:47:46 EDT 2005

This could also be titled "Sequel to the yet to be completed Route 66
story".

The CA car is in the air (well, the rear end anyway).  The engine which was
advertised as "needs nothing" and as has "Isky cam" actually DOES need a few
things and has a reground 110 cam.

It used about 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of oil in the trip from CA to IL (2,600
miles).  A good portion of it (probably  1/2 qt or more) came out of the
breather cap, so I figured there just MIGHT be a problem creating excessive
pressure in the crankcase.  It has been waiting for some attention and a
compression check was done about 10 days ago.  #6 was at 50, so the left
head came off.  Broken ring on #6 and a cracked piston on #4.  This engine
was supposedly rebuilt 30,000 miles ago with Isky cam installed at that
time.  The car had headers and turbo mufflers when I picked it up.  With
those installed (will be going back to stock), it is really impossible to
hear any subtle tell-tale sounds that the engine might have been making.
There were 3 or 4 instances of crappy running along the way (as if one
cylinder had decided to take a rest), but I attributed those to other things
at the time.  Now, I'm not so sure about that (at least some of them).

It appears that the rebuild was a reground 110 cam and a hone job (possibly
using granite from the Flintstones as the marks are still there and quite
deep) on the cylinders.  Well the cylinders are all pretty much tapered (way
wide at the top) as a result of the "rebuild" which quite possibly has
something to do with causing the broken ring.  After I saw the left bank,
the right side got opened up for inspection as well..  The result - five
nice cylinder cores and one with a broken fin to keep as a souvenir.

At this point, the engine is nearly back together with a turbo cam and .30+
long skirt TRW forged pistons.  Fortunately, I had those on the shelf.
Bought them a few months back from (I think) someone on VV.  Claypool had a
set of done cylinders on his shelf, so a deal was made to obtain those and I
had pretty much all the gaskets that would be needed on hand.

Pictures are at:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hmlinc@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/abd4&.view=t

Since the pics were taken a day or two ago, the shrouding is nearly all back
in place.  Top shroud still needs to go on.  So, the group red thing should
be pretty temporary.

The Danube Blue one is for sale!

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110