<VV> Re: Gas fil problem

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Sun Jul 17 14:45:29 EDT 2005

Rick, this is one my turbo pet peeves and I had to write. My 64 spyder does this fuel regurgitation as well and it appears to only do it when the fuel has been warmed by recirculation through the fuel return system. If you fill the tank with a cold engine the process does not exhibit this problem.  It is caused in my opinion when cold fuel runs down into the hot fuel and a pressure front is created, spraying some of the fuel back out.  I don't know of any other solution than cold fill-up or a patience-while-unreasonably-slow-filling when hot.  One thing I have done when in a hurry is put a rag around the filler and nozzle to prevent the anticipated splash from discharging from the filler neck.  The solution? A modern filler neck created for unleaded fuel nozzles with the "flapper-door". Ah, the quirks of Corvair ownership!
Crawford