<VV> Heater box mixer repair

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 18:15:36 EDT 2005

My 3 operating Corvairs (all earlies) currently heat and defrost very well.  But 2 of the 3 will not STOP heating in the summertime.  I also have a used heater box (everything that goes over the rear axle) purchased for future installation in my inoperable project car, which came sans heater. I have adjusted the cables to move the levers to the full closed position.

Based on the manual and inspection of my used heater box, the "door" (attached to the "HEAT" cable) inside the mixer assembly must not be sealing to the box in my 2 heat leakers when they are in the no-heat position.

When I inspected my used heater box, the rubber on the doors (both the heat door and air door) feel soft and pliable.  The free edges of the rubber seals are scalloped - the edge is shaped like a sine wave with waves of about 0.4 inch height from trough to crest, and 1.5 inch width from crest to crest. When I use the door lever to close the doors with moderate pressure, I can still see some light past some of the scallops.  I don't know whether this heater box would leak a lot of heat, or if it would seal well enough to prevent noticeable leakage.  I could not tell how the rubber seals were attached to the doors (it looks like the doors are composed of 2 flat sheets, with the rubber trapped between them, but it was not clear how they were attached).  I also don't know what I might replace bad rubber with.

I have read in the Tech Guide, the SDCC web site, and some old VV postings about how to clean out and reinsulate the distribution box portion of the heater system, but I have not found anything yet about how to re-seal the "doors" inside the heater box mixer assembly.

I would like to fix my used heater box up so I know it's good, then drop the powertrain and install it in one of my "heat-leakers", then fix that box and swap it out, etc.

Does anyone know how to fix this "can't shut off the heat" problem?  Are the seals supposed to be scalloped?  Where do you get new seals?  How do you install them? How do I tell (on the bench) whether the seals will seal or not?

If I can get these fixed, my wife may reconsider riding with me!

Thanks

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on