<VV> RE: Towing Per the Tech Guide

Keith Hammett khammett at stainlessfab.com
Mon Jul 18 12:05:21 EDT 2005

The two that I towed went much farther than 50 miles at speeds higher than
the 50 mph, no foaming, fluid loss was observed.  Now who can say that seals
didn't harden up, after all these are around 40 years old.  I question that
if towing causes that much heat to be generated to harden up seals, what
kind of heat is generated when the transmission is under load?  Just how
much heat is released from the torque converter (after all it is generating
some heat by spinning the fluid)?  I think that the same applies to the
friction surfaces,clutches, and bands (when in neutral aren't the clutches
and bands released?  Thus no friction from them?).  As long as the fluid is
being moved in the transmission you shouldn't have a problem, the heat must
be below the breakdown point of transmission fluid (what ever that is).

Keith Hammett