<VV> Control rod bushing change

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Mon Jul 18 23:16:41 EDT 2005

So while I'm waiting for my new rocker arm to show up I decided to change out the lower control rod bushings with the metal sleeved replacements I had previously ordered but never got around to doing.  I was going to have a friend with a hydraulic press press them out and in for me but decided to try it on my own with the tools at hand.  They came off easy, no need for heat or blasting.  I did one side at a time just to ease the strain on my brain.  I pressed out the center sleeve using a two-arm gear pullers and a correct dia socket.  No sweat.  I cut the reamaining rubber with a reasonably sharp chisel I have and again no sweat. Actually, lots of sweat - it's hotter than a mother and 200% humidity here in Virginy.  I pressed the new bushings in using a big socket I have for my Honda, it fit the lip on the sleeve perfectly.  I used a spring compressor as my press. I ran the threaded rod right down the center thru the Honda socket.  I used another Honda tool (crank pully holder) on the far side to create a pocket for the bushing to go in when it got past the edge of the control rod.  This too worked reasonably well, I was worried because I'd heard mention of tons of press power needed.  I cleaned up and smeared grease and antisieze on the camber bolt and trans mount bracket.  I installed (loosely) the camber bolt end on car and then tried jacking the wheel up to get the trans mount end on.  This didn't work so well.  The tire kept wanting to splay out and would push the jack away.  I ended up jacking just under the control rod/shock mounting area.  this worked better.  I got the forward lower bolt started but nothing else would line up.  I unjacked and then re-jacked the wheel.  Things lined up better now.  Repeated for the other side (went MUCH faster).

Sad thing is, only one of the 4 bushings really needed replacing.  The other 3 had some dry rot on the exposed end but the internal parts looked good.  Well it's all good now.  Hopefully I'll get 40 years out of these :)

mike