<VV> Searching the archives... burst-o-fuzz

Joe West joew at diveaz.com
Tue Jul 19 00:19:02 EDT 2005

Hi Gang,

One of my earlier posts from 1996 was finally entered into the archive.  I
just re-read it and it still cracks me up.

Joe

From: joewest at primenet.com (Joe West)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 09:46:23 -0700 (MST)
To: Multiple recipients of <corvair at jlab.mitre.org>
Rare Burst-O-Fuzz Option Found (Was RE:defogger fuzz)

><snip>
>but I have
>occasional bursts of fuzz-balls flying out of my front window defogger vents.
>It usually occurs after the car has been sitting for a while (overnite, or all
>day at work) when I
>start the car with the fan on high. After the blizzard, I have a light
>dusting
>of fibers and small balls covering my dash (and probably the insides of my
>lungs). The fibers are a medium brown and average 1/8" length. The dustballs
>are soft to the touch

Wow!

You actually have one of the first three out of the tenth set of the last

four Corvairs with the coveted BURST O FUZZ Option. This relitively unknown

option is a safety device, warning you of CO contamination in the air coming

from the engine.

This rare option was ordered on only a few corvairs, and it is rare indeed,

when you find one that has a working fuzz-ball generator.

The way this works is as follows:

Located inside the heater ductwork leading to the front heater outlet and

defrosters is the fuzz-ball generator. The fuzz-ball generator works on a

thermal gradient ablative catalytic principle whereby the thermal gradient

caused by the combination of cold air from a blizzard (or from sitting

overnight) and warmed up CO from the Corvair engine combine with Chevy's

patented Fuzz-stuffins catalyst, causing the "Burst o Fuzz" to be produced

whenever your heater air is contaminated with CO. What is unusual is the

fact that your Fuzz-stuffins holding tank apparently still has some

Fuzz-stuffins left in it. Fuzz-stuffins was usually depleted within the

first 12 months of new vehicle operation, and most owners didn't replace it

because of the annoying fibers getting all over the interior of the car.

Late in 1973, Chevrolet lost the formula for Fuzz-stuffins, and the

Burst-O-Fuzz option went the way of the dinosaurs.

My opinion is that you should remove the fuzz-ball generator and

Fuzz-stuffins tank and get together with Clark's and see if they want to try

and repro them. Maybe Rad can help you with the formula for Fuzz-stuffins.

How about it Rad?

Also, as a side note, you might want to fix the CO problem which is causing

your Burst O Fuzz to operate.

I hope this helps. Good Luck

 Kindest Regards

 Joe West