<VV> Re: Towing Per the Tech Guide

Keith Hammett khammett at stainlessfab.com
Tue Jul 19 08:44:55 EDT 2005

See ">" below

Keith Hammett

-----Original Message-----
The problem here is that the SM doesn't really provide accurate info
on this.  I've seen a PG Vair towed almost 1000 miles at Interstate
speeds with hardly a stop other than for refueling and it arrived in
my driveway just fine, and the transmission was hardly warm.    I
crawled under it and checked, slapped a palm on the transmission and
it was hardly warm, no problems.   I've towed other PG Vairs on
Interstates etc and not stopped for long distances and never had a
problem at all.    Others have as well.

>this is what is reported by some "whale" owners who also tow a corvair
behind.

Was the original SM just making a "blanket statement" regarding
flat-towing vehicles regardless of transmission type?

>I think the General was just covering his butt

On the other hand, a manual gearbox WILL get damned warm while
flat-towing since the cluster gear doesn't turn and the mainshaft and
synchro hubs don't get any splash oil... and they eventually will
heat up.   Been there done THAT too, and they do get pretty hot
unless that cluster gear turns now and then, to lube the mainshaft

>Most manual's will burn up unless gears are turning

Heat generated in a Powerglide comes mainly from the fluid in the
converter being churned during slippage within the converter.   No
other parts in a Powerglide should be generating any more heat than
what you'd see in a manual gearbox operated normally with splash
oiling via the cluster gear turning etc.   The vast majority of the
heat is generated within the converter, not within the transmission
itself, and even then only during engine operation while the fluid in
the converter is being agitated.    During towing, the transmission
gets ATF circulated to various points by the rear pump, no lack of
lubrication.   The converter does nothing at all unless the engine is
running or the transmission is towed in gear.    No heat from that corner.

>Based on this, then either stopping to run the engine to "cool" things off
or the continuous running of the engine to keep things "cool" is actually
heating things up...

So, the PG shouldn't overheat at all, regardless of how far or how
fast you tow it.   And in fact, this has been my experience.

*My* experience...  others' mileage may vary.    But to date, I've
never damaged a PG or even gotten one excessively warm no matter how
fast it was towed or how far, as long as it remained in Neutral and
it didn't have any serious internal problems to begin with.

>Thanks Tony for your experiment  ggg

tony..