<VV> Weird Electrical Problem

Steve Ziegler sziegler at cox.net
Tue Jul 19 17:28:09 EDT 2005

Just got my '64 Coupe back from the paint shop...Looks great, by the way, but I have started having very strange light problems...(Everything was fine before the disassembly for painting)...Firstly, we did clean off the new paint so the tail lights would make a good ground...We have power to all of the four corners of the car, tail lights, parking lights and headlights...Now for the weirdness...These are the symptoms the car is having:

    Headlights come on on low beam; On high beam only the right high beam light comes on

    Parking Lights on ok

    Tail Lights on ok

    Brake Light on right side only

    Back up light on left side only

    Blinkers (here is where it really gets bizarre)

        Right blinker works only when head lights are on

        Left blinker will not work by itself...Blinks when right blinker is blinking

I have placed new 1156 bulbs in the front parking lights and the same 1157 bulbs are in the back...We are thinking that maybe, since the entire assemblies were removed for painting, the shock was too much and they just gave up and died from old age and need to be replaced...The bulbs fit very loosely in the tail light sockets, and the little spring contacts in one of the sockets are pushed way in and will not spring out properly...We had to put a small wedge of aluminum foil into the socket to make ground with the bulb...I know that the whole lighting system is inter-related, and if one bulb is messed up it can effect the others, but we have tried every combination we can think of with no luck...Do we need to replace the tail light unit and pigtail?
Any help will be appreciated, and sorry to be so long-winded!

Steve in Kansas
'64 Monza Coupe, PG