<VV> Re: Towing Per the Tech Guide

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Jul 20 14:44:36 EDT 2005

At 09:13 hours 07/19/2005, AeroNed at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 7/19/2005 7:44:52 AM Central Standard Time,
>khammett at stainlessfab.com writes:
>
> >Most  manual's will burn up unless gears are turning
>

>I've flat towed my 4-speed many hundreds of miles at 60+ MPH without any
>problems.
>
>Ned

Recently dolly-towed a dune buggy w/140 drivetrain (4-speed) 120
miles on the interstate and stopped often to check for
overheating.  Had to tow it front-wheels up, couldn't pull it
backwards, no steering wheel attached thus no way to secure the front
wheels.   Was worried about the gearbox, which hadn't been "spun" and
thus greased up inside in over a decade.   It got pretty warm but it
didn't get *hot* and the countergear never turned the first lick
(engine was stuck) and since there was no clutch linkage hooked up,
it couldn't be clutched and rolled in gear to grease up
anything.   The tow didn't hurt anything, and I was careful to check
often for overheating which never happened.   In fact, the gearbox
barely got warmer than the differential, which was rather overfilled
just in case (and some of it spit out the top vent).

I wouldn't terribly sweat a flat tow with a 4-speed as long as you
"kept an eye on it".    However, I sure would make sure the cluster
gear ended up  spinning a bit one way or another, since flat towing a
manual gearbox in neutral *can* eventually cook the mainshaft
bushings if you press it.

You'll know it if you do cook it... there will be a foul smell and
possibly smoke, depending.

tony..