<VV> Sealing gaps between body panels

Jim McLott Jim.McLott at DOR.GA.GOV
Wed Jul 20 14:06:32 EDT 2005

While resealing the headlight buckets on my '66 convertible, I decided
to remove and repaint the two trim panels in the front corners of the
trunk.  While they were out, I cleaned out the body pockets beneath
them.  The one on the left was ok, but the one on the right had large
chucks of what might have been old seam sealer in it.  At least I assume
it was old seam sealer, because the body panels at the bottom right
don't even come close to meeting.  There is a gap large enough to get
2-3 fingers through.  This is not a rust hole, but a gap between the
body panels.  The pocket on the left is closed up tight, so I assume the
one on the right should be also.  Fisher Body must have used A LOT of
putty/sealer/whatever trying to close it up.

Since Christine is primarily a fair-weather Sunday boulevard cruiser,
should I even worry about trying to seal this gap?  If so, what should I
use?  My first thought is to make a large ball out of rope caulk and
stuff it down in there.

BTW, if this gap is any indication of the build-quality of early 1966
models, I'd hate to think of what the late 1969 models must be like!

Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible she-devil
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta and Group Red (Ret.)