<VV> Sealing gaps between body panels

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Wed Jul 20 15:19:59 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Jim McLott
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 2:07 PM
To: Virtual Vairs
Subject: <VV> Sealing gaps between body panels

While resealing the headlight buckets on my '66 convertible, I decided
to remove and repaint the two trim panels in the front corners of the
trunk.  While they were out, I cleaned out the body pockets beneath
them.  The one on the left was ok, but the one on the right had large
chucks of what might have been old seam sealer in it.  At least I assume
it was old seam sealer, because the body panels at the bottom right
don't even come close to meeting.  There is a gap large enough to get
2-3 fingers through.  This is not a rust hole, but a gap between the
body panels.  The pocket on the left is closed up tight, so I assume the
one on the right should be also.  Fisher Body must have used A LOT of
putty/sealer/whatever trying to close it up.

<<<SNIP>>>

The dad of the guy who did the bodywork on my '66 was the body shop
manager for the defunct Chevy dealership in Billerica MA.  He did my
'vair for sentimental reasons.
	He told me that the his dad loved Corvairs, but was constantly
fixing water leaks in brand new ones.  Gaps were very inconsistant.
Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA