<VV> Heat and towing re Posi

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 20 16:24:50 EDT 2005

The axles turn the side gears and the ring gear which splashes oil
everywhere.  The posi is within the carrier attached to the ring gear via
side gear and then spider gears-actually some posi plates are floating and
others have "ears" but they are in the carrier.  All gets splashed as if the
driving force was the pinion gear. There is no pressure lubrication in
either the trans or diff-there is even a little ledge for fluid to catch in
and run down thru a hole in one end bearing.  The only heat buildup issue in
the transaxle is under heavy competition in road racing or rally.  In those
cases, a pump might be needed to pump fluid thru a small cooler/radiator and
return in some manner.  Like SCCA competition.  Otherwise, no issue.

Chuck S
BBRT