<VV> Another ebay scam - Barely Corvair

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Wed Jul 20 17:52:25 EDT 2005

On the other hand, in AZ there are no inspections so you can register
anything.  My brother just registered a 1982 Mercedes G-Wagon that
was confiscated from the Argentines by the British in the Falklands
(sp?) war.  Since the Argentines never paid for their stuff (guess
they were mad at the Germans for siding with the British in that
little war) Mercedes just deleted the serial numbers out of their
system -- so it is hard to register and get parts and so forth.  A
British colonel brought it to the US and could not register it in CA
because of the "invalid" VIN.  No problem in AZ.  He just said it was
a 1982 and they took his word (hence needed no DOT/EPA) and the
import papers which had the VIN that they matched to the truck ... so
move to AZ and you can have that Porsche !  I also registered a
Corvair that had not been registered in 6+ years and the owner had
died and his grandson signed the papers ... no notary or any such
thing.  DMV did not even blink ...

It is sometimes possible to more easily register a car after it has
been recently registered in another state.  I have helped out a
person or two by registering here and then "transferring title" to them in CA.

It is not necessarily a scam ... there is a market for reconstructed
(salvage) cars, weird imports, etc --> as long as the seller
discloses this (as he apparently did with you) so be it ...

At 07:59 AM 7/20/2005, you wrote:
>Y'all be careful on eBay.
>
>Two weeks ago I went to look at a 1983 Porsche 911 Targa that was
>going for under $10k and was in excellent shape.  Test drove it,
>looked at the engine, all spotless and beautiful.  I noticed that
>there was no current inspection sticker.  Actually no inspection
>sticker at all.
>
>"Yeah, it's actually NEVER had an inspection sticker".
>(Uh oh.  It's a grey market car.)
>"You mean in 22 years it has never been inspected?"
>"Never needed to.  The original owner never inspected it, and we
>bought it from him and never inspected it"
>(Hmmm... wonder who the car is registered to!)
>"Why?  Won't it pass inspection?"
>"We don't know if it will or not.  We still have the original
>exhaust system over here in the garage if you want it".
>"I''ll buy the car if you get it inspected first."
>"We'll throw in the exhaust system but we won't get it inspected for you"
>"Why are you selling it?"
>"We're moving to Virginia"
>(Aha, they can't get it registered in Virginia without an inspection sticker)
>"Never mind.  See ya'll later!"
>
>Dave Morris
>

>At 09:21 AM 7/20/2005, you wrote:
>>While we're on the Ebay scam thing, what was the deal with the
>>really cheap Mopars?  There a SuperBird with a buy it now price of
>>$7K on there now. I can't remember what the scam was with those.
>>
>>mike

>Change your options:
>http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can
leave a message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off
when I sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and
lots of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html