<VV> Re: Flat Towing, my experience & viewpoint

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Jul 20 22:15:21 EDT 2005

At 03:04 hours 07/20/2005, BobHelt at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 7/20/05 1:13:35 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
>chsadek at adelphia.net writes:
>
> > and any residual drag of fluid or drag due to needle bearings in
> > clutch/input  gear will turn input/clutch gear and the cluster
> gear.  There
> > is no load, so it won't take much to turn larger mainshaft gears
> and cluster
> >
> > gear.
>
>Chuck,
>I don't think that this is possible. When in neutral, the cluster gear is
>meshed with the clutch input gear, which is splined to the input
>shaft, which is
>splined to the clutch disc, which is directly connected to the engine. So
>unless the clutch is released, the cluster gear Is PREVENTED from
>rotating unless
>the engine is running.

Yep.   Once when my Spyder swallowed a valve (retainer failed, valve
went into the cylinder and bent, jammed back in the guide) I had to
flat tow it from Natural Bridge VA back to Roanoke.   Called a bud
who came and got me, rented a tow bar, went back with my '66 Plymouth
Satellite and hooked up.

I vise-gripped a couple pieces of thin plywood together against the
clutch cable after pushing the pedal to the floor, trapping the pedal
in the "down" position to allow the clutch disk to freewheel with
frictional slopping and thus grease its bushings.   The tow back to
Roanoke on I-81 was uneventful.

tony..