<VV> push start/VWs/Corvairs

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Thu Jul 21 17:11:09 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/21/2005 3:06:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Wade Halsey
writes:
<<Very early VW's could be started with a leather strap on the crankshaft
pulley, just like a riding mower. I think they had 1200 CC engines with around 25
HP back then.>>

Yeah, my 1958 VW had a "lawn mower" starter on it, the extra pulley on the
crank pulley with the notches in it for the knotted rope with handle... this
ride was loaded... I'd picked it up for about $600 when I was in the Army, canvas
sunroof, am/fm/sw blaupunk tube radio, under dash tray, and the funky little
polaroid shade that clipped onto the rear view mirror... even had the gear
shift lock... the neatest thing was the little headlight bulbs, not sealed beams.
I was told later that it was a production German car, not meant for export...
I waxed it up and ended up driving it home to Louisville from NJ... I was
able to fit all my worldly possessions in that car, 3 duffle bags full, and a
cooler in the front seat... The summer I got back into Louisville I went to a car
show, and a guy was waiting in the parking lot wanting to buy it... (I went
to look at the other cars, and didn't enter it)... I told him it wasn't for
sale... until I realized that "money was no object"... so I sold him the car... I
liked it, but he liked it more... a LOT more! The best part about that was
calling my Dad from a payphone asking him to come get me... "That piece of crap
finally break down?" "Nope, sold it for almost 7 times what I paid for it"...
We went out for dinner that night... my treat... not bad for a 20 year old...
It probably went out to California... this was way back in the mid 1980s,
before I started messing with Corvairs... the VW prices just went out of this
world! At least the Corvairs are still affordable.... and I fit into Corvairs
much easier that I did VWs... can you guys imagine me unfolding myself from a
Bug?...
My first car was a '68 "auto stickshift" Beetle, bright red, named it
"Diablo" since I would go out and "raise Hell" in it, and painted a Confederate
Battle Flag on the doors, and a big peace sign on the deck lid... this was 1983,
when I was in High School... what a goon!
I've been able to pushstart pg vairs before... had to once when it was
cold... even sprayed a little starting fluid into the aircleaner just before
"shoving off"...
The guys watching me were amazed...
I love these cars...
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, someday will be a camper
1963 Greenbrier 4spd. that I really ought to sell
1964 700 sedan 95/pg, semi-daily driver status (only when I drive somewhere)