<VV> Latest 0-60 times - G-tech Pro

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Sat Jul 23 16:49:21 EDT 2005

Several years ago when I first got my G-Tech Pro, I ran some
acceleration times. if you're not familiar with my car, here is a brief

'67 Monza coupe, 140, 4-speed, air-conditioning, Isky 280 cam, step
milled out of the heads with 9.0:1 compression, MSD 6AL with 6,600 rpm
chip, stock exhaust and Rochesters, 16 x 8" IROC wheels with 225/50-16
rear tires (24.7" diameter); weight with 1/2 tank of gas, 2,760.

At the time my clutch needed replacement and I got some slip during
hard acceleration runs. This may have been a good thing as the car came
out pretty well, no wheel spin, just a little clutch slip and it was
off.

After getting used to the G-Tech Pro I ran a best of 0-60: 7.48 sec.
(with a passenger), 1/4 mile: 15.92 sec., 88.9 mph.

I actually ran a 15.97 @ 90.3, but later realized the road where I ran
that had a slight drop to it so I discounted that run as not being
accurate. It's almost impossible to find a flat, straight road around
here that you can run a quarter mile run on! Testing has shown the
G-Tech to be pretty accurate in measuring time, and a little optimistic
measuring mph, as compared to a drag strip.

I always wondered what the car would run with my little 225/45-13
autocross tires (20.8" diameter). It runs like a rocket at an autocross
with these tires which change the gearing quite a bit. Yesterday I
changed the tires and generally set the car up as I autocross it. It's
weight is probably closer to 2,700 pounds like this. Early this
morning, while it was reasonably "cool" - about 75 degrees - and before
there got to be too much traffic, I set out to see if I could run 0-60
in the sixes.

Because of the distance it takes to run a quarter mile, plus the speeds
involved, I didn't run quarter mile times, just 0-60. I put 25 pounds
of air in the rear tires to get some traction. On the first run I
realized I had more than I needed. I made three runs at increasingly
high initial starting rpm's, finally revving to 4,500 and letting the
clutch out pretty quickly. Still, the car only chirped the tire(s). It
didn't bog too badly, but didn't come out real well. Part of that has
to do with the lightweight clutch assembly which revs quickly once you
get going but has no mass to help start off. To really get out quickly
I'd have to try higher rpms which I wasn't willing to do. The 6,600 rpm
chip in the MSD came up pretty quickly in first and second gears.

I got two good 0-60 runs: 7.70 and 7.69.

I was obviously disappointed. On the way back home, with nary a police
car in sight, I thought about why the car wasn't faster. Part of it was
the slow launch. I probably should have put about 35 pounds of air in
the rear tires. The second thing was the fact that I had to make two
shifts, getting into third gear with the small tires before hitting
sixty, whereas the larger tires would do it in second.

I did get to smell the Source, Street Kevlar clutch disc for the first
time, and was happy that the two-spider differential was fine.

If I had the opportunity to play on a good stretch of deserted asphalt,
I think I'd just concentrate on the start until I could get out better,
then see what she'd do. But for now, I can still claim that it went
7.48 in full street trim at 2,760 pounds.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC