<VV> Re: Corvair Museum

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 26 23:18:24 EDT 2005

Hey Garth,

The motor was built by GM (there was more than one of them) and was
displayed at introduction type car shows.  CCE "inherited it" many years ago
before I was a member - when they used to have their meetings and tech
sessions at a GM tech center in the Chicago area.  It might have been when
the tech center closed (but don't quote me on that) when it became the
property of CCE.

It was stored at Claypool's place for several years and we cleaned it up and
brought it out from time to time - usually conventions and also mall shows.
So, we did not build it, simply maintained it and the trailer it was parked
on.  I think that it may have been moved (I was told) to a better trailer
after it got to the museum - the year I was president of CCE.  That was
1999, same yr we opted to do the 2001 convention.  We, CCE, took a trip out
to the museum and put a "donation" plaque in the case that year.  I think
the motor actually got to the museum in late '98.  There was a 75th
anniversary of the GM proving grounds in (near) Detroit and a visit there
was also part of that trip.

Yes, it is a good spot to visit (museum) and was originally a Hudson
dealership.

Later, JR