<VV> Tranny/diff fluid levels

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Jul 27 10:43:25 EDT 2005

>The simple thing to do is add the additive.  The experimental thing to
>do is test the positraction torque (I vaguely remember 300 ft lbs, but
>others more current may know better) with the diff cold and warm to see
>if it is in spec without the additive.
>
>With respect to diff oil.  Modern 8Xw90 differential oils are usually
>GL5.  This stuff has sulfer compounds that eat brass syncros when the
>oil is very hot.  If your oil never gets hot, then no sweat.  Otherwise,
>  a sulfer-free type is better.  Redline makes some suitable stuff,
>forget which name, as do Audi directly, as quattros have the front diff
>and tranny connected.  Presumably, GM also specifies a suitable brew.
>Don't know about Amsoil.  :)
>
>kirby

So if the GL5 sulpher compounds are added to make the lubricant hypoid
rated, what are you doing to your ring and pinion gears, that are hypoid
in a Corvair, if you do not use a hypoid rated lubricant? In real road
tests of  over a half million standard shift Corvairs, how many synchros
have been eaten by hypoid lubricant? Not all cars have been made with
hypoid ring and pinion gears, hence they do not need hypoid lubricant.

Frank DuVal