<VV> Shocks

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Jul 27 21:36:48 EDT 2005

Hi Ryan,

If you talk to the top shock vendors, they'll tell you that there's
more to the shock problem than mount point and extended/compressed
length.  The weight of the car, distribution, and spring rates all
matter.  Now, for a FWD car with struts, it's not too much of a stretch
to put Neon or VW struts on a MINI if they'll basically fit.  The
problem is that there isn't a car out there that even comes close to a
Corvair in layout.

Now, you can get a shock that will work ok - see the Tech Guide for
interchanges.  But if I'm going to pay for a set of Koni Yellows then
I'd darn sure want them to be *right*.  At one time Koni offered a
non-adjustable shock for the late model Corvair.  Given enough money,
they'll build a set of shocks for anything.  If that's what you want,
I'd call them and ask, it might not be as much as you think.

BTW, adjustable shocks are primarily for stock class cars that have no
way to adjust the spring or anti-roll rate.  Chrysler went to the Konis
largely to accommodate autocrossers who wanted to also drive their cars
on the street.  There's no real reason you need adjustable shocks as
long as they are properly matched to the application.

--Bryan