<VV> Re: Electric Fans . . . again

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Thu Jul 28 10:54:07 EDT 2005

Mike,

Instead of comparing the fan to a heater fan, compare it to the cooling fan on your water pumper,  how many of those have you replaced?  One could even argue that the life of a heater fan is shortened because it sits idle for months at a time.

This also brings up additional questions about the efficency of the stock fan.  Let's see, 20 amps at 12 volts is 240 watts or about 1/3 of a horsepower . . . far less than the stock fan pulls.  If you are worried about the life of the electric motor, figure out a way to drive the new fan with a belt.

Upgrading the alternator is an excellent point.  With a constant 20 amp draw a stock 37 amp alt. would turn into a 17 amp unit.

Terry Kalp