<VV> oil filter and alternator mount bolts...

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Sun Jul 31 17:19:46 EDT 2005

Interesting.  I think this implies that the aluminum also deforms, as it
was my understanding that only 3 threads are normally actually engaged
in threaded fasteners (at least for steel on steel).  So I'm imagining
that the aluminum deforms until a sufficient number of threads are
engaged to make the engagement area larger than the root area of the
bolt.  Then the bolt becomes the weak link.

Independent of my imaginings, however, isn't the real question whether
the strength of a bolt is sufficient for its purpose, i.e., holding the
alternator down against g loads and resisting turning moments and shear
from the fan belt tension?  Or, given that the bolts are supposed to be
torqued, isn't the question whether the bolts are sufficiently strong
for the specified torque?

kirby