<VV> Uprated Alternator?

corvairs lonwall at corvairunderground.com
Wed Jun 1 17:21:43 EDT 2005

Waaaaaaait a minute..........Comments in text -

JVHRoberts at aol.com wrote:

>OK, I'll do this one at a time, based on my experiences.
>
>1. I've never noticed an increased frequency of belt failures, even with a
>72 amp 10SI conversion.

Neither have we - 72 amp isn't too stressful - but we advise folks to
stay away from anything much higher (belt slippage under high load is
the potential problem)

>2. Skip the single wire types, too many issues and problems with them.
>Besides, you WANT that light for thrown belts!  Stick with 10SI internally
>regulated types.

Before people get REALLY confused..........the "one-wire" alternators
that we sell (and I suspect that others do as well) are technically a
2-wire BECAUSE theyt HAVE a warning light wire. I don't know of ANY
reputable Corvair supplier that would sell you a conversion WITHOUT that
feature. "Too many issues and problems with them"????? Not with any of
ours - you need to esplain, Loosie.

>3. The dimly glowing light is a common problem, and doesn't mean you're
>overloaded. I believe it's caused by voltage drop across the big feeder to the
>front, not to mention crappy ground connections. IMHO...

Once again, NOT with our conversions. Are you referring to the stock
generators? They do.  Are we confusing issues here? The "SI" refers to
"self-exciting" . What that means is that, as soon as the ignition is
energized, the alternator knows which way to feed the voltage. If you
use a 10 series with an SO or other type of regulator, you will have a
BRIGHT light at startup, until you put some demand (higher rpms) to the
system. This doesn't hurt anything but is annoying.

I realize that Mr. Helt has yanked all our chains in the past about
referring to them as "one-wire" alternator conversions. He is, of
course, technically correct but the "one wire" monniker refers to the
fact that entire charging system and it's output exits the alternator by
"one wire" as opposed to a system with an external regulator and thier
attending multiple wire connections.

But again I ask - what "issues and problems" do you know about that I
don't??  I have ALL my earlies LONG converted to this charging system,
as it's VASTLY superior to the generator type system. And after 500+
conversion kits sold we only have a handful of warrantees which involved
anything defective. That's normal for any rebuilt components. The
conversion itself has NO downside, other than initial cost (not really
that great) and the fact that it doesn't look stock.   Lon

www.corvairunderground.com

PORTLAND IN JULY!! TIMES RUNNING OUT FOR RESERVATIONS! This is going to
be a convention that you'll kick yourself over if you miss it!
www.corsaoregon.com