<VV> RE: Welders

Mark Chapman chapmanmd at charter.net
Thu Jun 2 15:01:37 EDT 2005

Snip--
I have a 130 amp 110volt Daytona Mig and I love it . It has never shut
down on all the welding I've done on floorboards,body panel, patches,
etc. I paid around $250 in 1996 and Haven't regretted it yet.
Unsnip--

And I have a Miller Dynasty 300SD that I paid over $5k for and a big
Lincoln MIG machine. They get used almost every day. I build racing ATV,
mini-sprint, and Kart chassis.. so what?

I have to agree with Smitty's earlier post. An arc welder is just fine,
if not superior to a mig or heliarc machine for floor pans in that it's
a heck of a lot easier to use and exponentially cheaper. I haven't seen
a bunch of folks crawling around under my cars that I have done floor
pans on to see my welds...

Bottom line, talk to guys that use them, figure out what you might need
a welder for, check your bank balance, and go from there. Get the best
that you can afford and are willing to spend for what you want to use it
for.

Just my $.02 worth. Your mileage may vary.

Mark Chapman
BBRT Flunkie