<VV> More electrical questions...

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Fri Jun 3 23:00:44 EDT 2005

Ok, this is getting to be a pain... I didn't get around to doing much today,
what with the rain most of the day, but I DID find some brushes in my old
parts stash... I just hope they fit. I think I have a real oddball with this 64...
it IS a 35 amp generator, and when I look at regulators all I find are the
ones for a 30 amp... even the one at Clarks web site is listed "60-64 30 amp"...
and Unka Lonald's Corvair book only shows one VR for 60-64 (no "amps"
listed...)... the price is definately good, though... but I'd hate to buy one to have
it burn up.
So what gives?
The concern is with that darn GEN light glowing... today it glowed the whole
time, dim, brighter, dim... never off completely... since I'm still on
crutches it's a bit of a chore trying to do any diagnostics, so I just want to
rebuild the generator and stick a new VR on it, IF I CAN FIND THE "RIGHT" ONE...
Am I reading too much into this?
I might just take the VR apart and see what the gaps are, since it's an
original GM... even the date code matches the car...
Who knows... I'm supposed to have some good weather tomorrow, and my brother
wants me to drive down and see him the week of the 13th (this is my good
brother near Paducah, NOT the bad one in the State Pen)... I just want to make sure
I can get there and get back...
So, what I'm asking is: Is there ANYONE who KNOWS for CERTAIN I can use a "30
amp" VR on my 35 amp (GM# 1102336) generator?
I know common sense would say "no", but when did electricity ever folllow
common sense?
;-)
Thanks for the help guys...
Maybe I just need a Gog thats also an EE...
Later,
Lonzo... no gogs, but we DO have a cockatiel, a budgie, 3 cats, 2 dogs, 2
goats, and lots of lizards and snakes here on the river

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, someday will be a camper
1963 Greenbrier 4spd. that I really ought to sell
1964 700 sedan 95/pg, semi-daily driver status (with crappy charging system)