<VV> Electrical problems fixed... oh happy day!

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Sat Jun 4 22:46:26 EDT 2005

Hey guys and gals,
I had a beautiful day to work on the 64 sedan... first thing I did was hook
up the DVM and ground the field wire at the regulator, the voltage shot up to
17 volts... "Ok, the generator is good!"... I grabbed the 7/16ths socket and
the screw driver and proceded to remove it for closer inspection.
I removed the cover and checked the surface of the points... grabbed the
trusty old points file (actually a new one I picked up at NAPA since my compadres
at Fisher didn't carry one anymore) and gave the blackend points a good
once-over... I even tightened down the adjuster screws a 1/4 turn and stuck it back
on (with the cover still off so I could watch it working)... got it all hooked
back up and guess what? I got a good 14.9 volts when it started up, and I
revvved it up to about 2500 rpm and got a max of 15.4 volts, then it went back
down to about 14.6.... oh, and that %*@# GEN light went out!
YAHOO!!!
I might still want to look into getting a spare VR, so I'll keep my eyes open
for a #1119305 on eBay... unless someone has one that would be interested in
letting one go at a reasonable price. BTW, that number is the correct one for
the 64 with the 35 amp generator #1102336 used only on "some" 64s from what I
can decipher.
Thanks for EVERYONES help... again...
Now, where did I last put that sunburn ointment.....?......
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, someday will be a camper
1963 Greenbrier 4spd. that I really ought to sell
1964 700 sedan 95/pg, semi-daily driver status (now with properly working
electrical system)