<VV> Weird Heater modification thoughts

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Sun Jun 5 14:51:23 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron" <ronh at owt.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> Weird Heater modification thoughts

> The big question is WHY?  The stock heater works fine without modification
> providing it's kept up.

You will get no argument from me about the efficiency of the stock Direct
Air heater.  However, the original poster had a specific project in mind
when he asked the question - he wants an INTEGRATED HVAC system - something
no Corvair ever had.  The Late models with Factory A/C came closest to the
concept, but you still could select only heat or A/C, and the output was
determined by which one you selected (all A/C went to the vents, all heat
went to the floor or defroster).  It certainly would be nice to be able to
select any of the outputs for either heat or A/C, and it would be nice to
dehumidify the air going to the defroster at any time of the year.

Of course, the main "problem" with the Direct Air Heater is in the 2nd part
of Ron's answer: "providing it's kept up".  The DAH requires a LOT of
maintenance (mainly on the engine) to keep putting out not just hot, but
CLEAN air -- even the slightest oil spill causes odors (and what Corvair
driven regularly does not eventually leak some oil onto the shrouds
somewhere??).  Failed or missing thermostats, removal of the lower shrouds
(often advocated to improve cooling, especially with A/C), improper or
missing engine perimeter seals, worn hoses, etc. all result in losses of
heat to the passenger compartment.  Let's not even talk about the
"Burst-o-Fuzz" option!

Odds are that most surviving Corvairs have a very poorly functioning heater
due to the years of neglect, oil spills, etc.  While it is true that a
properly functioning DAH can produce plenty of heat for the car, a poorly
functioning one will not, and in some cases (Carbon monoxide leak), can even
be dangerous.

I happen to like the DAH in my fully restored car, but it is 'not so hot" in
the ones I have not done the restoration on.

Finally, let me just add that as good as the DAH seems to be here in
Virginia Beach, when I lived up in Michigan it never seemed to get hot
enough when the temperatures dipped into the teens and single digits.

So, if somebody wants to engineer a heater that works better, is safer, and
integrates fully with A/C, I am willing to listen.

Bill Hubbell