<VV> oil consuption question

John Headley robedinpurple at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 19:52:30 EDT 2005

Well, I had my first fill-up of the season today after
attending the Orphan Car Show in Ypsilanti.  The show
was great, lots of vairs and many of the great, lost
makes.  I enjoyed it thoroughly.  Today was my first
chance to get a good, measured fuel economy number on
my car since picking it up last year.  22.5 MPG, not
bad.  Unfortunately, during the same tank of gas, I
also burned 1.5 qts of oil!  What are the main hitters
on corvair oil economy?  I suspect my valve seals are
probably shot, but I don't know if that alone could
account for this amount of consumption.  I did
compression some time last year, but don't have the
numbers.  If I remember correctly they were a bit low,
but uniform.  Not crazy low, though.  Any other ideas
for me (other than rebuild the engine, which I'm sure
will come later)?

-John Headley
64 monza convert
Royal Oak, MI