<VV> slotted shocks

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Jun 7 09:45:30 EDT 2005

At 10:38 PM 6/6/2005, you wrote:
>The main performance factor that I trust with the gabriel is correct fit.
>I find that the repro gabriel by virtue of never slipping out of its shoes
>is much safer than Carrerras for example which have the dreaded "slots".

I *assume* that by "slots" you mean a lower shock mount that has a flat bar
with "U" shaped slots on either end and the two bolts go through those
slots into the lower A-Arm. If the crossbar is too short (and I remember
having a set of early Carreras that seemed that way) then the bolts may not
fully secure the bar.

My major concern with shocks that had both rebound and compression control
was that on compression, all of the force is against the nutplates on the
A-Arm which were never designed for such loading. If really serious, these
also should be replaced with something more substantial.

Back when seriously autocrossing think I used to buy crossbars seperately -
possibly from NAPA, and used them with the Carreras that were built to my
specs.

Had two that I could find easily so took a picture. Can see at
http://padgett.ws/files/shockbar.jpg
the chrome one on top was from a 1978 vintage Carrera, and anodized one on
the bottom is what I used as a replacement.  Shows the difference between
short and more.

Am used to posting a lot of pictures to answer questions, need to find an
easier way.

Padgett